- School of Medicine Clinical Operations Group Work Rules
- International Personnel Policy Manuals
- Table of Contents
Personnel Policy Manual
Full-time faculty and staff with at least two consecutive years of full-time JHU service and employed through the date of the adoption.
Documented expenses will be covered for a single child adoption to a maximum of $2,500 per family for all combined expenses. For the simultaneous adoption of two children, the maximum reimbursement will be $5,000 per family for all combined expenses.
- Reasonable and customary public and private agency fees permitted or required under the law of the state having jurisdiction over the adoption
- Reasonable and customary legal and court fees
- Reasonable and customary fees for medical and hospital services provided to the child, the natural mother, and the adopting parents
- Transportation fees associated with the adoption
- Temporary foster care charges
- Costs associated with legal guardianship
- Eligible children include any child under age 12 at the time the adoption process is initiated. Adoptions of stepchildren are not covered under the plan if natural, custodial parent is living.
- Request for reimbursement must be made within 60 days of the adoption.
- Reimbursement will be made following submission of a completed Adoption Assistance Plan form with appropriate documentation. Acceptable documentation of eligible expenses consists of itemized bills, either stamped paid or accompanied by receipts or canceled checks. Acceptable documentation of the adoption process may consist of governmental documents clearly demonstrating that the adoption has either been approved or denied or governmental documentation demonstrating you have legal custody of the child/children prior to the finalization of the adoption.
- Adoption expenses reimbursed by the University are considered taxable income and taxes will be withheld. The benefit paid will be reported on the W-2 as additional income.
- Reimbursement under this plan is limited to one adoption process during any two year period.
- Requests for any exceptions to policy, or questions about the plan should be directed to the Johns Hopkins University, Office of Benefits Administration, 633N Wyman Park Building, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21218. Phone: 410-516-8110 or FAX: 410-516-4606.