Fall 2011 Retirement Education Seminars
This fall you can take advantage of a variety of retirement education seminars being offered on campus events.signup4.com/JHU and online http://benefits.jhu.edu/retirement/. These seminars help you better understand and manage your retirement benefits. The live sessions cover a range of new retirement topics including, "Understanding the Language of Investing" and "Charting Your Financial Course-A Guide for Women." The online series covers topics presented last fall including how to plan for retirement during each stage of your career. These sessions are brought to you by the university and our partners, TIAA-CREF.
We're pleased to announce the start of the fall Financial Education series with five new retirement seminars that offer simple strategies you can follow to prepare for your financial future (and plenty of chances to win a free iPad2!)
- "Johns Hopkins University Retirement 101 — Annual Update 2011": An update of last year's Retirement 101 seminar, you'll learn about the benefits of the Johns Hopkins University retirement plans, general retirement planning principles, and the importance of investing as much as you can for your future financial goals.
- "Managing Your Retirement Plan Through a Yearly Review": Learn how to monitor your retirement savings, including reviewing your allocations, checking your risk tolerance, and ensuring your account beneficiary designations are up to date. The seminar will also discuss Target Date Funds and how to create a portfolio tailored to your unique financial situation.
- "Understanding the Language of Retirement and Investing": You'll gain insights into the basic principles of retirement planning and the terminology around investing in different asset classes. You'll also learn the difference between employer and employee contributions, and how investment expenses and fees can affect your portfolio's returns.
- "Charting Your Financial Course: A Guide for Women": Created for and presented by women, this seminar focuses on the unique challenges women face when saving for retirement and other goals. This seminar will cover critical investment planning issues, including establishing investment goals, how to make your money work for you, and the financial planning strategies to follow if you're single.
- "What You Need to Know About IRAs": We define IRAs and highlight the differences between the Traditional IRA and the Roth IRA and their unique tax advantages. We also discuss Roth IRA conversions and how to use an IRA to meet your estate planning goals.
To attend any of these seminars, simply visit events.signup4.com/JHU for the seminar times, locations and dates. When you attend, you'll not only be better prepared for your future, you'll also have a chance to win an iPad2!
If participating in person is difficult for you. Consider taking some of our online seminars. Here's the list of the Benefits FastFacts presentations below. Just click to get started:
- Staying On Track in a Volatile Market
- Save for Tomorrow, Start Today (Life Stage: Early Career)
- Are You on Target? (Life Stage: Mid-Career)
- Ready, Set, Retire (Life Stage: Preretirement)
If you're interested in meeting one-on-one with a representative from one of our retirement vendors, check the Upcoming Events Calendar on the Benefits website for available times and locations.